Tigi our gal

Transgender Action Online

Defending, Embracing and Supporting the Gender Spectrum.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Only part of our forum is visible to guest, by creating an account you can see all of our content. This protects the main sensitive parts of our site away from search bots that could index peoples posts and list them in search engines. We would rather protect our friends privacy than let google spam their posts all over the internet.

#1 2023-03-12 18:23:42

SarahEL
Administrator
* Moderator * News Staff
Website
Windows 10Chrome 110.0

Sexual and gender identity terms to use on this forum

Below is a glossary of acceptable terms to be used on the forum and chat. Using other terms, slang or derogatory terms may result in your post being moderated and a ban being imposed.

AGEN­DER
Describes a per­son who does not iden­ti­fy as male or female or some com­bi­na­tion of male and female. Some agen­der indi­vid­u­als see them­selves as gen­der­less, while oth­ers see them­selves as gen­der neutral.

ALLY
Describes a per­son who sup­ports, both pub­licly and pri­vate­ly, the LGBTQ com­mu­ni­ty and equal­i­ty in its many forms. Het­ero­sex­u­al and cis­gen­der peo­ple can be allies, as well as indi­vid­u­als from with­in the LGBTQ community.

ASEX­U­AL
Describes a per­son who is not sex­u­al­ly attract­ed oth­ers and has no desire to engage in sex­u­al behav­ior. Asex­u­al­i­ty dif­fers from celiba­cy in that a per­son who is celi­bate is sex­u­al­ly attract­ed to oth­ers but choos­es to abstain from sex.

BIGEN­DER
Describes a per­son who has two gen­ders. Peo­ple who are bigen­der may expe­ri­ence two gen­der iden­ti­ties at the same time or at dif­fer­ent times. These gen­der iden­ti­ties can be bina­ry — male and female — or include non­bi­na­ry identities.

BISEX­U­AL
Describes a per­son who is attract­ed to both men and women. A per­son does not need to have had spe­cif­ic sex­u­al expe­ri­ences — or any sex­u­al expe­ri­ence — to iden­ti­fy as bisexual.

CIS­GEN­DER

Describes a per­son whose gen­der iden­ti­ty match­es the sex — male or female — orig­i­nal­ly iden­ti­fied on their birth cer­tifi­cate (i.e., peo­ple who are not trans­gen­der). Cis­gen­der, which is pro­nounced sis-gen­der, describes only a person’s gen­der iden­ti­ty — not their sex­u­al or roman­tic attractions.

ENBY
Describes a per­son who does not iden­ti­fy as exclu­sive­ly male or exclu­sive­ly female and usu­al­ly prefers “they” as a pro­noun. Enby is the pho­net­ic pro­nun­ci­a­tion of “NB,” which stands for non­bi­na­ry. Not all non­bi­na­ry indi­vid­u­als pre­fer or use this term.

GAY

Describes a per­son who is attract­ed, emo­tion­al­ly and/or phys­i­cal­ly, to some­one of the same gen­der. The term can be used by men, women or indi­vid­u­als who iden­ti­fy as non­bi­na­ry. A per­son does not need a spe­cif­ic sex­u­al expe­ri­ence — or any sex­u­al expe­ri­ence — to iden­ti­fy as gay.

GEN­DER
A social con­struct used to clas­si­fy a per­son as a man, woman or some oth­er iden­ti­ty. Fun­da­men­tal­ly dif­fer­ent from sex assigned at birth, gen­der is often close­ly relat­ed to the role that a per­son plays or is expect­ed to play in society.

GEN­DER AFFIRM­ING SURGERY

A sur­gi­cal pro­ce­dure that enables an individual’s body to be more con­gru­ent with their gen­der iden­ti­ty. Also referred to as sex reas­sign­ment surgery or gen­der con­firm­ing surgery. Can be referenced by using the acronyms SRS, GCS, GRS or GAS.

GEN­DER DYSPHORIA
Describes the extreme dis­com­fort that a per­son feels because their assigned sex at birth does not match their gen­der iden­ti­ty. This sense of unease or dis­sat­is­fac­tion can cause depres­sion and anx­i­ety and neg­a­tive­ly impact an individual’s dai­ly life. Can be referenced by using the acronym GD

GEN­DER EXPRESSION

How indi­vid­u­als com­mu­ni­cate their gen­der to oth­ers through their cloth­ing, speech, man­ner­isms and oth­er fac­tors. Gen­der expres­sion is not the same thing as gen­der iden­ti­ty. A per­son can express one gen­der yet iden­ti­fy with another.

GEN­DER FLUID
Describes a per­son whose gen­der expres­sion or gen­der iden­ti­ty — or both — changes over time. Not every­one whose gen­der iden­ti­ty or expres­sion changes iden­ti­fies as gen­der fluid.

GEN­DER IDENTITY

A person’s inter­nal iden­ti­fi­ca­tion as male, female, some­thing in between or some­thing oth­er than the two con­ven­tion­al gen­der options. A person’s gen­der iden­ti­ty is not vis­i­ble to oth­ers and can match or dif­fer from their assigned sex at birth.

GEN­DER NONCONFORMING
Describes a per­son who does not adhere to the tra­di­tion­al expec­ta­tions — in terms of their appear­ance or behav­ior — of their assigned gen­der. Some of these indi­vid­u­als iden­ti­fy as trans­gen­der but oth­ers, for exam­ple, mas­cu­line les­bians, do not.

HET­ERO­SEX­U­AL

Describes a per­son who is attract­ed — phys­i­cal­ly and emo­tion­al­ly — to indi­vid­u­als of the oppo­site sex. Oth­er­wise known as a straight person.

HOMO­SEX­U­AL
Describes a per­son who is attract­ed — phys­i­cal­ly and emo­tion­al­ly — to peo­ple of the same sex. This term is out­dat­ed and dis­fa­vored in the LGBTQ community.

INTER­SEX
Describes a per­son born with sex char­ac­ter­is­tics that are not typ­i­cal for male or female bod­ies. Sex char­ac­ter­is­tics are phys­i­cal fea­tures relat­ing to sex — includ­ing chro­mo­somes, gen­i­tals, hor­mones and oth­er repro­duc­tive anato­my — as well as sec­ondary fea­tures that emerge from puber­ty. Inter­sex is an umbrel­la term, and inter­sex char­ac­ter­is­tics and traits are not always appar­ent or iden­ti­fied at birth. Other vulgar terms for intersex (hermaphrodite for eg) are not allowed.

LES­BIAN
Describes a woman who is attract­ed, emo­tion­al­ly and/or phys­i­cal­ly, to oth­er women. A woman does not need a spe­cif­ic sex­u­al expe­ri­ence — or any sex­u­al expe­ri­ence — to iden­ti­fy as a lesbian.

LGBTQ+
An acronym used to describe les­bian, gay, bisex­u­al, trans­gen­der, queer or ques­tion­ing per­sons or the com­mu­ni­ty. Avoid using the term “gay com­mu­ni­ty,”, or "trans community,", as it does not accu­rate­ly account for the community’s diversity. Yes I know there are other 'letters', but for this site and the for the sake of clarity, we will stick with this and the + covers the others.

NON­BI­NA­RY
Describes a per­son whose gen­der iden­ti­ty falls out­side of the two-gen­der con­struct (male or female). For exam­ple, non­bi­na­ry can describe an indi­vid­ual whose gen­der changes over time, who does not iden­ti­fy as male or female or who asso­ciates with ele­ments of both gen­ders. Some indi­vid­u­als who iden­ti­fy as non­bi­na­ry pre­fer the term enby.

PAN­SEX­U­AL

Describes a per­son who is attract­ed to — or has the poten­tial to be attract­ed to — peo­ple of any gen­der or gen­der iden­ti­ty. This attrac­tion can be emo­tion­al or physical.

QUEER
An adjec­tive used by some peo­ple, par­tic­u­lar­ly younger peo­ple, whose sex­u­al ori­en­ta­tion is not exclu­sive­ly het­ero­sex­u­al. Queer was once used a pejo­ra­tive term and has been reclaimed by some — but not all — mem­bers of the LGBTQ community.

QUES­TION­ING

Describes a per­son who is still dis­cov­er­ing and explor­ing their sex­u­al ori­en­ta­tion, gen­der iden­ti­ty, gen­der expres­sion or some com­bi­na­tion there­of. Using this term enables an indi­vid­ual to iden­ti­fy as part of the LGBTQ com­mu­ni­ty while avoid­ing oth­er labels and rec­og­niz­ing that their process of self-iden­ti­fi­ca­tion is still underway.

SEX
The clas­si­fi­ca­tion of a per­son as male or female. At birth, babies are assigned a sex that typ­i­cal­ly cor­re­sponds with their exter­nal anato­my. Yet an individual’s sex is influ­enced by a larg­er com­bi­na­tion of fac­tors, includ­ing their chro­mo­somes, genes, hor­mones, repro­duc­tive organs and sec­ondary sex characteristics.

SEX­U­AL ORIENTATION
An endur­ing emo­tion­al and/or phys­i­cal attrac­tion (or non-attrac­tion) to oth­er peo­ple. Sex­u­al ori­en­ta­tion is flu­id and encom­pass­es a vari­ety of labels, includ­ing gay, les­bian, het­ero­sex­u­al, bisex­u­al, pan­sex­u­al and asexual.

SOGIE
An acronym for sex­u­al ori­en­ta­tion, gen­der iden­ti­ty and gen­der expres­sion. Every per­son has a sex­u­al ori­en­ta­tion, gen­der iden­ti­ty and gen­der expression.

STRAIGHT
Describes a man who is attract­ed to women or a woman who is attract­ed to men. Can be used as a syn­onym for heterosexual.

TRANS­GEN­DER
Describes a per­son whose gen­der iden­ti­ty and/or gen­der expres­sion do not match their assigned sex at birth. Trans­gen­der peo­ple may be straight, les­bian, gay, bisex­u­al or queer. Transgender is a term that encompasses anyone that is not of a binary gender. This is not a word that can be pluralised!

TRANS­GEN­DER (OR TRANS) MAN
Describes a per­son who was assigned a female sex at birth but iden­ti­fies as male. This per­son may or may not active­ly iden­ti­fy as trans.

TRANS­GEN­DER (OR TRANS) WOMAN
Describes a per­son who was assigned a male sex at birth but iden­ti­fies as female. This per­son may or may not active­ly iden­ti­fy as trans.

TRANSSEXUAL
Relating to, or being a person whose gender identity is opposite the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth. Note: Transsexual people may or may not undergo surgery and hormone therapy to obtain a physical appearance typical of the gender they identify as.

TRAN­SI­TION
A com­plex process by which trans­gen­der peo­ple align their anato­my (med­ical tran­si­tion) and gen­der expres­sion (social tran­si­tion) with their gen­der iden­ti­ty. Tran­si­tion­ing is a mul­ti­ple-step process that occurs over a long peri­od of time. It can include such steps as using a dif­fer­ent name, using new pro­nouns, dress­ing dif­fer­ent­ly, updat­ing legal doc­u­ments, hor­mone ther­a­py and surgery. The exact steps involved in a person’s tran­si­tion varies.

Change Log:
3.12.23 First posted
3.13.23 updated GRC and LGBTQ+

Sarahel-slang term: Coming from the Gewada region language in Ethiopia
-when two people are very close friends, it is said to be Sarahel
Ex. Those two really love each other, they are sarahel

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

©2023 Trans-action.online    This page was generated in 0.038 seconds using 11 queries