Tigi our gal

Transgender Action Online

Defending, Embracing and Supporting the Gender Spectrum.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Only part of our forum is visible to guest, by creating an account you can see all of our content. This protects the main sensitive parts of our site away from search bots that could index peoples posts and list them in search engines. We would rather protect our friends privacy than let google spam their posts all over the internet.

#1 2023-04-28 13:45:22

CaelaNotKayla
Administrator
* Moderator *Significant Other
MacintoshSafari 16.3

Silenced Voices in the Community- a personal opinion.

Today, the transgender community is under constant assault from dog-whistlers on the right.  The news nowadays shares a constant stream of legislatures across the country taking away our rights to exist one piece at a time.  The pervasive partisan politics leads them to silence their own colleagues who simply speak out in support of our community.  False accusations based on pretexts are causing real hurt to our fellow trans brothers and sisters.

I never thought that my own first experience in this environment of censorship would come from within the trans community.  I believe that we need more voices, and more opportunities out there for people to feel safe and be comfortable sharing those voices.  Every blog or forum post, every tweet, every water cooler conversation, every phone call with relatives- they all are opportunities to share support for our community.  Silencing our own voices limits the impact that we can have in pushing back against this agenda of hate.

This is a big reason why I have decided to be vocal, why I decided to teach a seminar at the upcoming Esprit conference, why I choose to be visible- The world needs to understand that we are not a marginal group, but a rather significant group whose voice is marginalized.  We need to understand that even those deeply afraid of being daylighted can have a safe part to play.

Being transgender is not a choice. Join with me in standing up to the hateful, fearful bullies who would legislate us out of existence.

Caela.

My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

#2 2023-04-30 05:18:08

SarahEL
Administrator
* Moderator * News Staff
Website
Windows 10Chrome 112.0

Re: Silenced Voices in the Community- a personal opinion.

CaelaNotKayla wrote:

I never thought that my own first experience in this environment of censorship would come from within the trans community.
Caela.

It is a sad fact that some areas of the community are 'policed' by a generally older transitioning individuals. There are certain segments of the community where older individuals who are in the process of transitioning from one gender to another, or have finished their transition are the ones who are taking on the role of dictating what it means to be gender incongruent. This is a troubling fact, it may lead to a lack of representation and understanding for individuals who identify with different gender identities or sexual orientations from different generations to these self-appointed guardians. In a way it is very misogynistic..

As people age, they often hold onto beliefs and attitudes that they grew up with and may not be as open to new ideas or ways of thinking. This may be especially true when it comes to issues of gender identity and sexuality, which have become more widely accepted and understood in recent years.

Therefore, having older individuals as the main representatives or authorities in certain areas could lead to a lack of support and understanding for those who identify as LGBTQ+. It is important for individuals in positions of power and authority to be diverse and representative of the community they serve, so that they can better understand the needs of different individuals and work to support and protect them. Not to be a police force, restricting and demoting ideas they themselves do not hold belief in.

Overall, the need for greater diversity and representation in positions of power and authority, especially when it comes to issues related to gender identity and sexuality, is definitively needed. It is important that all individuals feel seen, heard, and valued, regardless of their identity or orientation. This is nothing more but more self-imposed gate-keeping and a case of someone else making the decision if 'you are trans enough'.. ugh!@!!@!

Sarahel-slang term: Coming from the Gewada region language in Ethiopia
-when two people are very close friends, it is said to be Sarahel
Ex. Those two really love each other, they are sarahel

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

©2023 Trans-action.online    This page was generated in 0.011 seconds using 14 queries